Block Positioning And Rotation

@lucadeltodecso was nice enough to explain the issue around block placement and some options on solving it. (His description is listed below the poll for context Edit: Added updated post from devs).

A survey would give some data to the developers to help them decide what people would like for viewing a block. Please answer the following survey for some data. This way it allows @James and the developers to see if a more simple solution is available for rotation so that we can maybe get a tool that allows us an easier time to place blocks and know what the rotation will be like.

This is not about “priority” of development. Just on what the functionality is for future reference.

When placing a block and trying to rotate it how many sides are important to line up and match with other blocks around them.

• One side of the block texture is what I am focusing the rotation on and the other side textures DO NOT matter as much
  • One side of the block texture is what I am focusing the rotation on but the other side textures DO matter as well
  • Two sides of the block texture is what I am focusing the rotation on and the other side textures DO NOT matter as much
  • Two sides of the block texture is what I am focusing the rotation on but the other side textures DO matter as well
  • Three sides of the block texture is what I am focusing the rotation on and the other side textures DO NOT matter as much
  • Three sides of the block texture is what I am focusing the rotation on but the other side textures DO matter as well
  • Four sides of the block texture is what I am focusing the rotation on and the other side textures DO NOT matter as much
  • Four sides of the block texture is what I am focusing the rotation on but the other side textures DO matter as well
  • All sides of the block texture is what I am focusing the rotation on.
0 voters

Well… even if you could fully rotate the block all 24 ways… that still wouldn’t let you control every face independently, you’d still be locked to the same configuration, it’d just be rotated. Being able to control 6 faces independently would be 4^6 = 4096 combinations… now that is just ‘waaaaaay’ too much data. Orders of magnitude too much data.

Even 6 faces isn’t enough people may say, since chisseling adds more faces than that again…

4 Likes

My frame of reference here for an ‘ideal’ block rotation system is from (am I allowed to name it?) …Creativerse.

3 Likes

Updated with more notes.

My answer would be -Two opposite sides to be mirrored and the connecting one to be 90° rotated

easy peasy case: a pattern of blocks wich is at the same time a floor and a roof: so the pattern (and design on the faces of the blocks) should be reflected on the 2 opposite faces… otherwise i will need to do 2 layers; in this case 4 faces of the block are ignored - this is valid also for a wall wich is at least 3 blocks high

a wall wich is 1 or 2 blocks high: visible faces 3 (we do not take in cosideration starting and ending blocks)

design patterns: to have a pattern you need at least a repeated series (or module) of 2 (a straight corridor large 2 blocks) >>>>>>>> or a 2x2 pattern like <><><><>; this is the easiest especially if you are using a block with symmetrical design for 1 or 2 axis;

with all the blocks with wich you have no symmetry axis, you will need at least 2 of them to do something, and in particular you need 1 and it’s mirrored version to do it - the point is that with at least 1 symmetry axis you don’t speak about mirroring, without axis of simmetry the joint between the 2 blocks will become your axis of simmetry

a tool wich rotates the faces will not give you the mirrored version of your “P” design but only the contrary, or opposite if you prefer
but if you have an “L” design where both lines of the “L” are equals you would have it (because this “L” do have 1 axis of symmetry, bisector 45°)
or the example of passing from a “P” design to a “T” design (from zero to 1 central axis of symmetry)

in the end if you want to use ANY random design on the block face, you need a rotation and a mirroring option

as i understood we havo no space for this…

what i would suggest is to eliminate completely designs with no symmetry axis, cause as it is they are not going to be used because of the “can’t close the pattern”, wich is why i decide to make a decorated block of a kind or the other, it must make sense, or else a colored block with no design is better

and would insert at theyr places blocks with angular design of already existing blocks with straight patterns (so we can close a “frame” design around a pattern on a horizontal plane)

I realise this quote isn’t Xaldafax’s, it is @lucadeltodecso, just the quote thing was a sub quote :slight_smile:

I’m just wondering…what is going to happen to dirt/grass combinations when more planets exist and therefore more colours? Are planet’s colours going to be limited by what colours already exist? o.O

Well, the colour of system is already being overhauled, so I wonder if they have found a more efficient way of doing this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: @lucadeltodecso

I don’t know if this could be possible. but think a texture rotation of the block would be better. so that way you could set the rotation you want for every faces.