Has development stopped?

Again, yes, yes they have. The writing in on the wall in neon ink that they are not doing anything with Boundless and likely won’t be for the foreseeable future.

Once again, I hope I’m wrong. If I’m wrong I will HAPPILY come back to this forum and make a post letting everyone know I was wrong and explaining how happy I am to BE wrong.

2 Likes

It’s interesting that you think that. Can we return to discussing the facts?

I played Landmark as well, was one of the early backers. In my honest opinion, the building in Landmark was too complicated. It let you do some really interesting stuff if you put a ton of time into learning how to deal with the anti-voxels, but for the average player it was just to complicated. In this game, a noob can just plunk down blocks and chisel some stuff and voila! They are building on basically the same level as the best builders. They might not have the scale, creativity or excellent color scheming as the best builders, but they can get the exact same effects. In landmark, the building was just way too intimidating. I personally spent most of my building time in an underground workshop messing with anti-voxels, and had maybe 2 actual builds. The difference between my builds and even the moderately good builders was like night and day, let alone compared to the best builders. Anti-voxels were fun to play with in the same way that a toy is fun to play with. It was like messing with silly putty. They were not fun to use for their actual purpose, at least not for the average player. Building in Boundless is something anyone can do and have fun with.

Landmark also had absolutely nothing to do but build. The crafting system was bare bones and could be maxed out in about 3 play sessions. Combat, when they finally added it, flat out did not work. NPC’s were always getting stuck in walls, or in infinite spawn loops, or aggroing players that were nowhere near them even when there was a player right next to them attacking them. No one really explored because it was too difficult to find other people’s builds. I don’t remember there even being a portal system. People show up at my builds in Boundless all the time. While I am actually there to talk to them, not just in footfall. Also, footfall lets you see you had visitors and Landmark had nothing like that. Landmar the “game” just wasn’t a game, it was a clunky building sim.

Boundless is an actual game. It has an economy. That people use. It has a fun crafting system that can take a great deal of time to master. It has combat, although I think it is somewhat limited. It has easy, fun building. It has exploration.

When I invited friends to play landmark with me, they stuck around for about 2 hours, and bounced. One of the same friends I invited to play Landmark, I bought Boundless for. He pretty much plays Boundless non-stop now. He never built anything in Landmark because it was too complicated. He builds all kinds of stuff in Boundless. He also loves the economy and crafting in Boundless. I don’t think Boundless is anywhere on the same level as Landmark in terms of dying. By the end, Landmark had absolutely zero new players. You never saw them. Ever. Boundless has new people trying the game all the time from what I have seen.

Personally, I’m not too worried about the lack of developer communication. This is mostly because I have noticed a lot of game developers have started cutting back on communicating with their player bases. I play GW2 and they seem to have a policy of never telling the players anything, ever. They just drop new content out of the blue with practically no warning. I think this is a trend with gaming, because players are never happy no matter what you do. If you tell them you are doing something, they get impatient and complain. If you tell them nothing they get impatient and complain. If the players are going to be impatient and complain no matter what you do, then the path of least effort ends up being taken. It is sort of annoying, but I don’t think it indicates anything.

2 Likes

It is like I said, speculation, but I’m truly at a loss if their hands aren’t tied for a contract/legal reason, what the reason could possibly be to not give us just a little info this far out now from the last we got (status on still working, what happened with events, ect.) if not intentionally trying to put the brakes on the game for some reason, time and/or financial. It really comes across to me as a pointed message, answering some things but not others.

2 Likes

My own personal speculation is a combination of embarrassment from multiple missed deadlines & slow progress, having little to report due to slow velocity, and what Cleo said above…

You’ve seen me say this before - I believe that there is no reason to believe that monthly “We’re working on it, but have nothing to report” check-ins would actually do much long-term. The community would get fatigued from hearing the same thing over and over - it would feel like lies just as much as the silence feels like abandonment.
Ask yourself, if we had been told “We’re working on it - we’re developing X feature, but don’t have anything to present right now” 12 times now, would you feel any more hopeful about the outcome? To me, it would remind me of a friend who is always “working on paying you back, man”.

Communication could help if there were something to show for it - periodic test server updates with whatever changes are coming - but if it’s background stuff with no need for feedback, what would be the point?
We don’t know if this is the case, but we have no reason to believe there is anything they could show us right now, either.

Development really never took off which I am sure I am missing a few other teasers (Lurker anyone)?

If you look at these threads, since 2016. There are alot of unfinished projects:

Races:

Ground Basher:

Some Poky Stick:

Some More Ape Like Looking models:

No More Diapers teaser:

These Parasites need a host:

1 Like

As long as the servers and this forum are still running, there is someone somewhere at Wonderstruck still paying there server costs and supporting the game. Timelines may have been abandoned, but the game has not been just yet.

6 Likes

Just thought I’d FTFY. @bucfanpaka is well aware of the current situation; they don’t need to be reminded of anything by you.

1 Like

No. I was speaking to her directly. She’s probably less fond of me lately, but I have had many positive interactions with her on here and consider her a friend on here, even if it isn’t fully reciprocated. I see her hurting specifically and meant it as a friendly reminder that I think she is dwelling on what I think is a self-built scenario. A reminder that it isn’t necessarily the actual reality.

I believe she is wise enough to take what I said and do with it what she will. Maybe it should have been a PM, but I don’t think about that option.

Thanks for asking what my intentions were, though.

1 Like

Not true at all. :slight_smile: I admire that you are able to stay so positive. Usually I am the same with most things, and of course, while I do feel hurt - for myself and on behalf of others who are upset - this is just a game in the end. I truly have no negative feelings to any of you, I see us like a family here. And with the game, there are things that I haven’t and won’t bring up on the board publicly that have upset me… but I still do love this game, and especially my fellow citizens, and have a lot of respect for the work of game development, and for those reasons, I only bring up publicly issues I think need to be said, in that, I think they could possibly be productive. Repeating myself on it I know, but I do think it is important if the devs are reading that they know how we feel and what it looks like. And yeah, some of it is a bit of venting. :wink:

Agreed that constant updates reporting no progress aren’t productive, but it has been five months or so since there was a status update (March, IIRC) and a major event came and went without happening.

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, I’m not nearly as hopeful as I seem to appear. I don’t subscribe to your scenarios, but my scenarios don’t have that much more hope than yours. I don’t believe that Boundless is a burden, but a pleasurable hobby. I could be very wrong, but that is what I think.

In the end, I think we’re all projecting out experiences and personalities onto our speculations of what the devs are thinking and doing. It’s interesting to watch, and I try to only interfere when people are misrepresenting the likelihood of their personal beliefs.

2 Likes

This is pretty much me … I am always positive even if we are in a zombie apocalypse I’d probably remain positive just as I have been during COVID and losing friends and family… I just don’t like to focus on the negatives.

No part of focusing on the negatives ever produces a good result in my experience. I was a guy at one point that just focused on the negatives… all it did was affect those around me negatively. That is not something I want … and I believe most people wouldn’t want that either.

I don’t want to change anyone’s views of the game and I do understand them and I even care about their views as they are not unwarranted. I want the situation to be better, the community deserves that but the game itself is just fine … and that’s my opinion but if there was more content or events you won’t hear me complain.

Positivity and negativity are highly contagious especially in a social media driven and digital world.

3 Likes

Stay boundless!

2 Likes

We aren’t?

1 Like

Agreed big time. My best friends and I have said much worse things to each other than I’ve ever seen on this forum :sweat_smile: and we’ll hang out 2 hours later

2 Likes

Yep this thing is dead until they prove otherwise lol I’ve finally deleted the game and have just been checking here every now and then. It was a fun experience, but I think they are done. There is no reason they can’t communicate to us what is actually going on. That’s my 2 cents. Hope everyone is doing well.

4 Likes

Well, I hope to see you back if there is an update that entices you. Otherwise, enjoy your journey in other games :wave:

1 Like

I imagine as long as a handful of people keep gleam club and/or sovereign planets are still being used they both easily cover the public server costs. I don’t think Boundless’s servers are going anywhere for quite a while, I just think they need to be clear about whether development has ceased.

That’s the thing, all it has to say is “Nothing has changed.” and people would stop worrying or being concerned about the state of the game.

A really clear post would be nice though, and they can even be as simple as: “Hey guys, we can’t talk about specific details right now as we’re under NDA, but don’t be worried the game isn’t going anywhere!” or “Development has been slowed down by our other obligations, but we haven’t forgotten about Boundless and are working on it in our spare time.” or “Sorry everyone, we’ve had to cease development due to the buyout and our new contracts.”

3 Likes

I… Don’t really care to have this discussion anymore. I’m trying to step back since I see my domination of this subject is an unhealthy behavior…

A question for you to ask yourself is… James did already say that development is going, including general information about what the roadblocks are, but it was a while ago. How often do you think something like that need to be repeated when there is no new information?

3 Likes