Let's take a page from modded Minecraft: NotEnoughItems Boundless GUI suggestion

EDIT: This is an old post, and the Knowledge tab now basically does Boundless’s version of this, and I am thrilled. :slight_smile:

The greatest mod (in my opinion) for Minecraft is the NEI (Not Enough Items) mod, which shows a master list of every item, block, et cetera… in the game. You can left-click or right-click on any of them, (or press ‘r’ or ‘u’) and it brings up a separate GUI telling you how to craft the item, and what recipes the item is used in. It’s legitimately one of the smartest, most useful mods I’ve ever experience, and in big mod packs with tons of items (Boundless itself is slowly getting more and more recipes), it’s invaluable.

Some images to help you understand and visualize the system.

Now in this second image, someone hovered over Birch Wood Plank in the items GUI after searching for it, and typed, ‘u’ or right-clicked, bringing up this menu showing every crafting recipe in which Birch Wood Plank is used. If you were to press ‘r’ or left-click, you’d learn how to craft Birch Wood Plank.

We already have the beginning stages of this by the pressing of ‘k’ bringing up the Knowledge section. But the Knowledge section isn’t easy to navigate quickly, and we only continue to get more crafting recipes with most new updates.

I think a few specific updates would be incredible:

1. If we could press some hotkey while hovering over an item, and it would bring up that item in the Knowledge section GUI.
  2. If the Knowledge section could also include a section that shows in what crafting recipes each item is used.
  3. If there was a search function in the Knowledge menu, as well as crafting machine menus, that searches for item names that contain the corresponding letters you typed. e.g. I search ‘cr’ and crafting table shows up, blacklisting all other recipes from the menu.

@kernal I figured I’d ping you because I think this would help crafters IMMENSELY. Is something like this possible? I’d really love to hear your thoughts on this. I know you guys have been working hard on a crafting GUI update behind the scenes.

2 Likes

Taking a page from Terraria, for their Guide character you would show them an item and it would reply with a list of recipes using that item.

Maybe there could be a knowledge slot like that on the inventory screen. Put something in there and it transitions to a filtered view of the Knowledge tab with information about that item.

I know you suggested that already as a hotkey, but I’ve read that hotkeys are unlikely to get implemented because they are running out of space on the PS4 controller. So the Guide style slot is a slight alteration that works within that constraint.

A search bar would work on both platforms and I absolutely would love to see. Every time I open the Knowledge menu my first thought is “ugh, right, there’s no search box”. On PC at least it’s easier to open a browser tab and search for the item on the internet than to navigate the Knowledge UI!

3 Likes

It’s the exact same thing, but a better way for it to work in Boundless. I appreciate your input. :slight_smile:

The hot key stuff being an issue because of Ps4 I think is odd. As long as we can navigate a menu to get there I don’t see an issue. Look at FF14. That game is definitely played better using a mouse and keyboard but you can get by using the ps4 controller and somethings you have to go thru menus to get to instead of clicking a hot key but it’s been awhile since I’ve played so maybe I’m rembering wrong lol

1 Like

Morning, thanks for the suggestions. Here’s what we have planned (WIP) …

Text Filtering
Text Filtering (type ‘cr’ and it will remove any recipes without ‘cr’ in the name) on recipe lists (and also Friends, Locations, Knowledge etc)

Grid View
You can select between the list we currently have, a grouped grid and a compressed grid view of recipe lists and knowledge screen.

You can see here Text Filtering on the right of the filtering bar and Filter / View options on the left

Knowledge Update
We’ve already added lists of recipes an item can be used in to the Knowledge screen, and also you can select those recipes and jump to them within Knowledge - that’s on live now.

We’re planning to expand on this by allowing you to select any item from an inventory grid, item in the recipe list of a machine and ingredients in recipes to jump directly to that item within Knowledge. This still requires some thought as to how you select to jump to Knowledge.

Hopefully get some of these QoL changes soon

18 Likes

So /essentially/ everything I talked about in this post. :smiley:

Thank you so much for the insight on what you’re working on with this GUI. I can’t wait for this. Your concept image looks phenomenal. I know I’ve made multiple posts in the past talking about GUI updates, so it’s wonderful to hear how things are going and plans on the future GUI!

3 Likes

About knowledge list, please:
Give new players a detailed list
Give experienced players a short list
Give proficient players a icons only list

1 Like

That new UI looks great, especially the grid view in crafting stations! Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Looking forward to this, @kernal :smile:

1 Like

I’m curious if the ability to change the view order is still in the works. I know you guys got out sorting items, as well as the Knowledge tab showing how everything is made, which has been wonderful, but the ability to change views in recipe lists would still do a lot for the game, I believe!

1 Like