New Private Planet Variation - Non-MMO Universe Survival

I decided not to reply to those trying to dispute my view in the “owned worlds shouldn’t cost plots” thread because I don’t want to argue and especially considering that at this point I see no decent evidence on how giving “more” plots to people just because they buy a private server will actually “help and make the game” better for all types of players in the Survival MMO Universe. As I said, I still believe that people should look at plot to cubit balance as a way to potentially influence the Devs to give “more” plots. Also I think people aren’t respecting the need to keep public planets clear of people that left or want to play on other worlds. Overall, I prefer to stick to the game design we have had from the start - in that these Survival Sovereign worlds follow the EXACT rules of the normal Universe.

I still believe people that want to “build in an unlimited” function should pick Creative. But, I do understand the argument that “creative can get boring.” Also, after using creative I can see where some of the limitations put on it causes other interaction issues, etc.

Either way, I do plan to start a series of technical and game play discussions over the next couple months when I might be able to secure a Dev call. I plan to see the feasibility in offering a variation on the current Sovereign worlds.

Basic ruleset: Survival world with these changes - unlimited plots and separated from MMO Universe game play like the Creative worlds are.

This would meet the need of those wanting to build but feel “creative is boring” because of no survival ability. I want to see the Devs concerns around this and if it is an option or not in their view.

This thread is for those that want to help fine-tune the design or propose other things in how to provide a survival (unlimited plot) option while putting enough restrictions or other things in place to not adversely effect or cause problems with the current MMO Survival world design - THIS IS CRITICAL.

4 Likes

This doesn’t refine, but broaden…

This would also be a good opportunity to consider hardcore and PVP pocket worlds as well.

4 Likes

Yall are just like never happy are yall?

After this would be the you host it worlds, there you can mod whatever you want, if they are smart they will do like mojang and have a common login so i can go visit your private universe with your own private rules using the same login that you use right now.

There was a road map posted about this years ago and i could have swore it was restated recently.

1 Like

I’m not sure who you are talking to. This post is to continue to find ways to grow the game and allow people options. That has always been my stance. Instead of fighting back and forth with arguments that don’t move conversations forward, I prefer to gather data and use my backer ability (to talk with the Devs directly) in ways that can use that data to help influence change or showcase why that data isn’t useful because we’ve gained more clarity on how the Devs prefer to design the game.

@Rydralain just did a great point how this could start to build some of the foundational technology needed to allow PVP or other modes. Plus like you mention - modding. I definitely plan to add that data to my list of things to talk about. Thanks.

So by growing the use cases and clarifying the communities views on things it helps actually get to a point where we can see if change will or will not happen in an area. I’ve done this with a variety of things like - mineable Oort (not likely yet) and other things like new options we see now – creative connected to MMO and customizable private planet biomes (both were not going to happen but I was able to influence change on my direct calls).

Maybe you mean the “local planet option” we have no under the Sanctum. This is an area where they are considering options to allow people to host their own worlds. This area is another spot I’m hoping to influence to allow some way to connect it to the MMO - probably same deployment type we now see with the Creative worlds.

4 Likes

Honestly, you can’t really play survival on a solo or non mmo connected world. It is the biggest problem with the way the worlds are setup. The universes would need at least three gems, three lucents and a couple low tier planets at a minimum. Then you are stuck with even fewer color options then we had in EA.

My guild looked at what it would take to set up a private universe and different ways that we could expand color selection using potential trade ins from scripting or a new color changing mechanic. Its just not comparible to the live universe without being able to connect many planets together.

7 Likes

I’m not sure this iteration of the game should be part of the live MMO, but it definitely sounds like what a downloadable local-only/co-op version would be. A lot of people on Steam are asking for this. Self-hosted worlds & universes too.

Just as some players are not interested in Creative mode at all, some aren’t interested in PvP at all. However, I do think these versions should be offered for those that do. Now that we have rental planets with unique biomes & permissions, those versions can be added without disturbing the original worlds & their denizens. :blush: :+1:

There may be some modes of gameplay that we don’t need to try to force-connect to the main universe by walking through a portal.

4 Likes

Fair points… definitely something that would have to go into the design consideration. Thanks for bringing it up.

3 Likes

Yeah that thing under sanctum is literally the first step to getting to where players host their own worlds/universes.

You all say things like
“I want unlimited plots”
“i want pvp”
“I want automation”
“I want oort to rain from the sky”

What you dont realize is you are asking for “Independent Servers ie. Modders and server hosts can deploy their own instances of the Oort servers. You can mod these. Privately host them. (But they will obviously be disconnected the main MMO.)

And it was already answered
in this post Long term game funding - #33 by james
and this post Q: What server configurations will be available for Boundless?
and this post How will modding work? - #7 by james

If anyone bothers to take like 5 minutes to try and heaven forbid i say this reverse engineer how that local server works you would see that it boots up a local boundless sanctum (or whatever its call) that binds to a port… it wouldn’t take a rocket scientist to open that port up in your firewall … If you forward that port from another pc to that pc you just might be able to actually connect to that sanctum and then boot up boundless on that pc you might be able to connect to the other sanctum/universe.

I honestly feel like no one understands what they literally have sitting in their hands its a boundless universe emulator. Its like 99% of the work the starwars galaxies emulator guys have worked the last some 17 years to try and create…

If you want to use your magical backer powers then ask the developers:
When we can expect to be able to launch a local instances of the universe and allow players to connect to it.

As a modder and networking guy i know what i see the pieces are there. That local server isnt a fake single player version of the game, its a full blown mini mmo server, im guessing a lot of stuff is hard coded to make it work on 1 computer but its there.

Edit:maybe the intent was for some smart player to make a hack that allowed players to connect to a private universe, because the devs would not be required to support them if it stopped working.

2 Likes

You seem… frustrated. It looks like you have some good opinions here, but you’re giving off a lot of hostile vibes when @Xaldafax is trying to facilitate the discussion you’re trying to have here.

5 Likes

…amen :pray: :fist_right::fist_left:

1 Like

Players just dont read the forums so when i see them say stuff like “we should have this feature that is on the 5 year old road map” its sort of frustrating…

We aim to support Public and Private worlds when Boundless hits 1.0.

We also aim to release the Server when Boundless hits 1.0.

If we’re unable to release all 3 server configurations simultaneously, then our priority will be the Public Boundless servers. We will then release the Private and Self Hosted servers as quickly as possible afterwards.

We have 1 & 2 and then we get 3 later… we just literally got 2… we have parts of 3.

Its there in black and white(or what ever font color you use) if your game world doesn’t play by the rules its not apart of the main universe, so any of these suggestions automatically go into that 3rd server configuration which was called “independent servers” in one post.

There is literally no need for discussion on how to add these to the main game world because it has already been stated they wont be.

What we really should be talking about is that mini boundless universe emulator we got a couple of months back… Now that we know that a mini boundless server exists the only discussion now is when is it going to be spruced up so that players that want to run their own boundless universe (ie planets <-plural) because for 40.00/month you can get a server that can host way more then 40 players or at the very least more then one planet.

What we would need is that login system that mojang has where your boundless id lets me go to your universe, then i would just go into like a server browser and enter that in and i can connect to your universe that you run on some servers. Modding is server side which means hosts could go buck wild adding whatever.

1 Like

I’m pretty certain that most of the vocal people here know what they are asking for – especially those that have been here since early in EA. Many of us are on bored with modding but prefer to find ways to keep the MMO Universe as together as possible so that the player base won’t fragment. The goal is to find a balance and way so people can still play together as much as possible.

Some of us actually know very detailed how the game works. While a port opening like you talk about might facilitate your goal, that primarily isn’t the initial goal of the Devs. The reason is because the technical design goes way beyond just a port. Much of the local setup is pointing back to the core infrastructure and they have plans to keep things linked. The sanctum local setup is the first code write of a grouped deployment solution compared to the current MMO which has systems running on different servers. Also, there are obvious security and other data integrity things that they must take into consideration.

I’ve already asked that and many other questions. It is an obvious question to ask when I found out about the local solution 1.5 years ago. But, actually that is not really the question that needs to be asked because “when” doesn’t actually do anything toward removing the roadblocks or technical solutions that need to put in place to get there. Not to mention that a “local solution” isn’t high on the list to complete over other content and critical game fixes that are on the roadmap.

The use case goes a bit deeper than this. Additionally, with the change in “creative worlds” having a connection to MMO, the design did adjust. Now is the time to see if the other original decisions around what connects or doesn’t to each other should stay or change.

You’re making a huge assumption with what I expect is a very limited knowledge on how the game is designed. There isn’t enough background information posted for people to understand the server specs for the $40 private hosting service. The same goes for how much RAM/CPU is used to decide how much a player on the world uses, etc.

Either way, while I appreciate the views and input, this thread isn’t about these tings. You are welcome to take the views on a mojang login and local private servers and start a new topic. The context of this thread is based on other private server options while keeping things as close to possible to the MMO setup. So please can we try to stay on topic…

4 Likes

This seems like what happened with Wurm. Take an already small player population and then shatter it into 100 smaller servers that slowly kills off the main game.

6 Likes

Did you go back to the 90’s where software development still uses waterfall and you can’t change strategies to match the userbase and market?

What roadmap? I would like links to one that has been updated within the past year, if not even recently updated.

2 Likes

Hmmm, good explanation @Xaldafax. I would still want my world connected to the main universe though. So if it isn’t connected I probably wouldn’t pay for it. There are way too many colors and types of materials to spawn on one world. So the not connected to the main universe wont work in my opinion for survival, for what I want my experience to be. I’m happy with the main universe.

If it doesnt work out no problem. Ill just stick with a rented survival planet as is and I will just get plots the normal way.

3 Likes

I have skimmed over some of the other stuff, but I hope my focus on this quote is what I am focused on. Your thread title stirrs certain things in my thoughts of what I want for this game, and in a quick skim of your commentary, I can understand and agree to you from what I gathered.

There’s very few things I would want to change in this game if I were given controls over a world, a world following most of the current Official World rules.

1. No Snow
  2. No Mobs
  3. No Stamina Drain

pauses to recall everything I dont like about Boundless, feels I am lacking recalling some aspects
4) Instant crafting times (but this might damage the feel of Official Worlds)
5) Whitelist

2 and 5 details: Briefly put, I have unresolved reflexes that interfere with my enjoyment of things, including Boundless. I cant handle certain things, and other things cause me debilitating physical issues for hours sometimes days, I do my best to avoid these aspects in this world that has so much to enjoy (you dont stop driving a car because of the rare chance of a car accident, so you do your best to avoid idiots on the road, etc). Example of my unwanted reflexes: I was on “Party World” for hours having alot of zen fun, but without any warning, BOOOOM in-game, I screamed in real life and literally ran to the other room. Someone had thrown a bomb and scared me so bad, it took me over 3 hours to recover from the physical effects of what my body does when I am suddenly spooked. I also was so verbally loud, that the screams woke my neighbors. This is a reflex in my body I absolutely hate, and so I have to avoid certain circumstances, and this includes situations in online games. Whoever did that bomb on me, if you are reading this, I understand that you have no way to know how badly that hurt me irl. You need not say anything. You now know. That awareness I hope is enough to stop you when you consider doing that to a stranger again.

For that kind of thing that other players do for whatever fun it gives them, I want my own locked world, just me and my friends, but I need no mobs option, and non-infinite item supplies. “Mostly” like the current planets but in a few ways changed. I can handle the snow, tho annoying, I can handle the craft time, tho annoying, but I need a world where I do not have to be mindful of the location of wandering non-player creatures, or terrified by some rando scaring me so bad I had to change my panties (yes, this happened with that party world incident). If you dont believe me, look up wiki fight or flight, that is what I experience my body doing under certain triggers, that can and do happen from playing online games.

Getting a placid isnt the answer to my non-mob desires. Placids still has the issue of accidentally hitting mobs while trying to build.

P.S. I still dont get why people have issues with me talking about myself in real life when my real life story has to do with what happens in games. I’m not violating any rules as I keep real names and locations out of the public comment.

3 Likes

I hope if this moves forward it is on the way back burner.

We had an update around Plot Buffers, Reclaim system, Sovergn Planets…would love the devs to have the time to add more crafted items to the game (furniture) and flesh out the combat system. Things like dungeon planets/Titans the like.

I am not trying to downplay this thread or silence feedback. Just expressing that there are some low hanging fruit that would really appease the player base. I hope those projects are next.

Personally I came to boundless because of it being an MMO or at least a static universe.

There are other building games that do the concepts listed here (Like minecraft). Personally I think Boundless distinction in the genre is a benefit…more dev time going to systems that will make it more like other voxel games seems counter intuitive to me.

Just share my 2c!

3 Likes

I can agree with that.
I want to play mostly like current worlds, but have my home as big as I freaking want it, without some random mob or player irritating me. When I was testing with the older model of the worlds hosted on my system, I got creative bread to give me infinite plots. Then beacon compactness went live, and ruined my desire to keep playing it. I had my own world road on that private planet before compactness was applied.

so…
6) Option to disable beacon compactness
And in the spirit of what I have read in depth of the Op’s post:
7) Non-Credit bought plots with a owner-chosen plot cap for players.
8) Infinite Plots for Server Controller
9) Choice of Infinite Plots for world’s players

1 Like

you can disable comapctness on your sovereign world.

3 Likes