Suggestion: Craftable Tiered Backpacks [Wearable]

Hello there. General Kenobi!

I was perusing the thread @CreativeWorlds made earlier today about being able to purchase more inventory space in the exchange, and I came up with a ///totally original\\ idea that I want to try to convince the Boundless population into accepting. :^)

We currently only have 32 inventory slots. I find myself running a bit low on inventory space quite often with my Gatherer character. There are so many unique and useful items in our universe that I like to keep a lot on my person, but that ends up using a lot of inventory space that could be used for collecting more drops before returning and dropping my stuff off at base. Inventory feels good currently, but I think just a bit more inventory space would help in the long run. Not necessary, but it could be a nice addition.

CreativeWorlds brought up using cubits to buy more inventory space. While I could see that being viable–and probably the simplest way to do it–I would like to propose a very Boundless alternative.

Craftable backpacks.

I think the idea of a few different tiers of craftable backpacks would fit nicely in the Boundless universe. (They could be called Rucksacks, Satchels, Backpacks, or a new Boundless-unique word) My thoughts on three tiers.

• Cloth Backpack: Crafted with Cotton Cloth, Bonding Agent, and other materials around this tier. Adds eight extra inventory slots.
  • Leather Backpack: Crafted with Leather, Enriched Bonding Agent, and other materials around this tier. Adds sixteen inventory slots. Possibly need some gems for this tier.
  • Third Tier Backpack: Crafted with something higher than Leather, Super-Enriched Bonding Agent, and other materials around this tier. Adds thirty-two inventory slots. (Or 24. But it’s a big jump-up in resource cost.) This tier would probably require some Shadow Orbs and Blink / Oort / Dark Matter.

The backpacks would generally be a good bit more expensive to craft than the tools / weapons from around their respective tiers as they are essentially a permanent upgrade to storage.

It would be best to only be able to carry one backpack on you at a time to keep people from holding multiple on their person and switching them out with each other, therefore having as much inventory as they want. This would also solve a problem of people putting backpacks in backpacks, breaking the space-time continuum, and gaining UNLIMITED POWER.

Any thoughts on my concept? Obviously we don’t NEED an upgrade to our inventory… but I believe it would only be a beneficial, fun addition to Boundless.

20 Likes

A use for hard leather at last? :open_mouth: I sorta like this idea so long as it’s balanced

2 Likes

I think if the devs were to add it, it would be balanced. :slight_smile:

And Hard Leather would be nice, but currently it’s not very expensive to craft, and the final tier (in /this/ concept) would be pretty expensive.

1 Like

Lol, but if it’s using specials anyway it’s gonna be pretty hard. It’s just you suggested leather for gems, and hard leather will be used with specials in other recipes like leather is with gems

1 Like

Oh! I hadn’t realized Hard Leather would be used for the specials. Well that takes care of that, then. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, let me backtrack. I’m almost 90% sure it will be :joy:

1 Like

Call it a Bounding-Pack or similar?

and i don’t think we need th efinal 24 slot (extra) but a craftable backpack would be awesome (even just for show) i mean… where are we puttig all our stuff currently? Up our XXX? inside our body somehow? DO we teleport it to us? whats the deal here??? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I love the idea, but what about durability? Permanent items where you only need/can use one are a problem in this game. Now if they had durability, that would be a different story, but I don’t know how to best deal with how they wear down and what happens when they break.

The number of inventory slots should be less and not doubled for each upgrade also: more like 6 for cloth; 10 for leather; 15 for third tier.

2 Likes

I like the idea of backpacks!

1 Like

Maybe when they add wearables, this can be part of a section known as accessories? Maybe give us one slot for backpacks, then three other slots for things that increase underwater time, increase light, and a pet?

Edit: Or at least along the lines of stuff like that. It would help alleviate some of the skill point concerns and whatnot. Maybe even move the atmospheric stuff to it.

1 Like

i love it great idea :smile:

1 Like

Forged backpack. 150 inv space . Boomboom

2 Likes

Anything idea that supports multiple game features and play styles is a good idea. This is one of them.

It supports:
Crafting
Shops (aka building)
Exploration
Resource Gathering

The more things an idea supports the better the idea.

3 Likes

I suggested something like that years ago ^^ … It was the idea to bind a feat to the back pack like more inventory, more endurance or endurance regen, more armor, light source or everything else possible to be added to a character.

Today I would suggest do add inventory space back as an skill (epic for sure, but so that it’s bound to an existing group (best that with damage/tank/healer spec) so that’s possible, but still a trade of power for it. Cool would be if the backpacks just give you an epic extra which is bound to the backpack (of cause no crafting or trading backpacks cuz those would feel odd and unfit ting).

2 Likes

I want backpacks, like I want armor. Make the backpack use the chest slot or whatever so its a trade off to use it

But I do so want to replace the armor skill points with actual equipment armor. There can skill be armor skill points that improve armor effectiveness though of course for tanks

2 Likes

I love this idea, please dev team give us backpacks we can craft or buy with cubits

1 Like

I love this.
As for your multiple backpack fear, just have anything in the backpack “drop” when you take it of.

I like durability, but lower the resourse costs.

I also think you should be able to either craft elemental versions or forge elemental resistance into them using either glands or shards. I’d prefer crafting rather than using the mind numbing forge.

But I could also see forging it with gather and light (It would be sooooo nice to free up that hand.)

1 Like

I would like to revisit Backpack ideas! crafting tiers is great. I think with the expeditions to exos to gather resources having an extra inventory for this would be huge. put into prespective a bit having the ability to have 32 x say 10 backpacks is alot of storage to carry around with you. granted that would need to have in your hand to open up, kinda like selecting the atlas options or clicking to swing a hammer.

Some options i would like to add with these ideas is forging. forge up nested where bags can go inside other bags, and then have filtered auto deposit, this function will say auto dump certain types items when picked up. Yes this will make mining for crazy amounts of time viable and then just dumping tons of rock in the chrysominter awesome. since we are at the point of getting larger storage. feel we are at the point of getting more inventory expatiation to hull our junk around with us.

4 Likes

I can see people already crying about wanting all the bags get the same storage and only needing a leaf to hand craft them.

1 Like

If the recipes have a progression that is sort of challenging then I want the bags to not have any downsides

If we get easy recipes maybe bags should slow your speed movement a little or eat your stamina in tiny quantities.

1 Like