This update is accessible via the “Testing” release of Boundless on Steam.
Please restart Steam to make sure you get the latest version of Boundless. If the update happens whilst Steam is open it’s unlikely you’ll get the latest version.
Please report all issues discovered to new posts in the #support category.
The following release notes are not final and should not be considered complete or exhaustive.
- Body Paints are now available in the Exchange to customise your characters.
Release overview video by the @Jiivita. Thanks!
Art + Animation + Assets:
- Body paint decals now added.
- Customise your character from a collection of eleven body paint designs.
- Tiger, Spots, Motion, Hand, Forest, Portal, Fire, Water, Brick, Energy and Feather.
- Apply and choose the body paint tints from a wide range of colours.
- Gleam Club members can further customise their body paints by choosing the high and low tint colours.
Crafting + Resources + Equipment:
- Increased contrast slightly when displaying resource maps to avoid blowing out details too much, particularly in the blue range of the scale.
- Metal and Gleam signs will now have emissive white text by default, so the text will be visible in as many light conditions as possible. Players with Gleam Club can still tint the text whatever colour they want.
- Removed transparency from chiseled sign text texture as it didn’t give the desired visual effect.
- Level 1 Roadrunners will now drop Adrenal Glands, and drop less Fresh Blood to compensate for the inclusion of the Adrenal Glands. This should help lower level players get into crafting more Augments and Fast Brews.
Creatures + Combat + Characters:
- Changed the way hunger and running works. Previously running reduce your energy level based on a percentage of your max energy. This meant a player with 600 energy and a player with 6000 energy could run for the same amount of time before starving. This was rather unfair as a high energy player would need to consume far more food to run the same distance. We have now removed this scaling, and Hunger depletes at an equal rate of points for all players. Meaning Higher energy players can run for longer, but eating food will allow for the same time of running.
- Meteorite Events will now reward players XP upon opening the prize crate at the end of the event. This XP is based off the world level, not the size of the meteorite.
- Level 3 Worlds - 500 XP
- Level 4 Worlds - 1800 XP
- Level 5 Worlds - 4000 XP
- Level 6 Worlds - 8000 XP
- Dormant Meteorites will not reward XP.
Sanctum + Tutorial + Objectives + Progression:
- Players can now freely cleanse skill points and reset skill pages until level 20. This is to allow players to experiment with skill builds in the early levels.
- Added emotes for Elder during tutorial.
GUI + HUD:
- Added more descriptive secondary descriptions for improved clarity when viewing Resources in the Knowledge.
- Added a game option to enable and disable the (F1) Debug menu.
- Removed “(Gleam Club)” from the beacon fuel tab timer.
- Adding info under the timer bar to show whether the player has Gleam Club protection active.
- Disabled showing some developer-orientated debug lines when the debug menu is enabled.
- Allowed Gleam Club members to re-tint wearables without requiring a tint kit.
- Increased the number of locations players are able to save from 32 to 100.
- Plants will not display drops only dropped during special events.
- Made portal information consistent across all GUI screens.
- Allowing players who have permissions to fuel beacons to see all the relevant beacon information.
SFX + Music:
- Added new audio option for selecting your speaker type.
- Mix adjustment according to audio playback and speaker preference made in the Settings menu
- Added swim animation audio.
- Above and underwater 3rd person swimming SFX.
- CPU Performance improvements for the client entity system around areas with many players or many entity-blocks with large storages full of items.
- Optimised the way lighting configurations work to reduce bandwidth when connecting to worlds and reduce lag spikes on slower machines and PS4 due to the processing of the lighting configuration data. This should improve portal opening speed.
- Performance improvement in the client side entity-system to significantly reduce allocations caused by component updates.
- Reduced amount of planet-markers that are tested for terrain occlusion each frame to help prevent performance drops especially when looking at a planet near the horizon with the totem equipped.
- Fixed an edge-case crash that occur if walking through a portal whilst your connection to the server is really bad and you are rubber-banding badly enough to be lerping long distances just as you transition.
- Fix an issue that could sometimes cause incorrect (too low) player counts to be reported for a world in the client (eg when looking at the player count on a warp or portal)
- Fixed more cases where Beacon fuel timing was reported incorrectly for Gleam Club members.
- Fixed a bug where Hoppers sometimes played their launch and landing animations twice.
- Fixed an issue where “Trader Block Seller” objective could not be completed due to the inclusion of items not currently in the game. These tasks have been removed from the Objective.
- Fixed status effect information closing when the character screen updates.
- Fixed Centraforge ingredients not displaying stability and vigour stats.
- Fixed an exploit that could cause many creatures to spawn around players. [Additional details withheld until release is Live.]
- Fixed an issue where Module Signs would not count towards “It’s a Sign” objective.
- Fixed natural resources not displaying the recipes they are used for in the knowledge screen.
- Fixed an issue that caused players to wobble to a stop on slopes instead of smoothly coming to a stop. Was a side-effect of a change to resolve an impact-damage issue in the physics which is now reverted and resolved in a different way that does not cause the wobbling behaviour.
- Fixed grammar errors in Defeat Penalty text in order to now read correctly.
- Fixed resource maps on globes not taking into account the different drop probabilities on different tiers of worlds. The resource maps will now correctly show for instance, a higher density of coal on a level 5 world compared to a level 1 world, even if the number and distribution of coal ore blocks are the same (since on the level 5 world more coal will drop from the blocks on average).
- Fixed resource maps not taking into account time limited events, so that spooky seeds from Halloween will no longer show up hot spots on the planets until the Halloween event next begins.
- Fixed client crash crafting token location out of settlement in the locations screen.
- Fixed an issue where level 3 healing bombs were healing hunger instead of energy. As we all know, you can’t eat bombs!
- Fix memory increasing due to not cleaning up all data for predicted entities.
- Reduced the number of packets sent from the server to the client to reduce the probability of packet loss and reduce chance of rubber-banding.
- Reduced amount of memory allocations during loading to improve loading performance and reduce memory fragmentation.
- Fixed a bug causing the Well Fed food buff to not prevent Hunger loss.
- Prevent server crash due to accidental creature resurrection.
- Fixed crash when hit with recovery bomb whilst exhausted.
- Fixed a crash in the character screen when opened under water.