Testing 224 - Combustion Fraction [Plant]

Update: Ok so after the recent update, i am getting these values ( i believe i have an optimal setup ) for Combustion kernels and Kindling kernels:
Seed-chance: 0.510
Yield-chance: 1.600

Everyone got the same? If yes, now to find the most space-efficient setup. Maybe even 2 layers within the same plot just for the sake of it xD

Edit: Got only 1 plot to make a little farm? Worry not - here’s how it would look like (total 88 seeds) xD.

!

Thanks @Kal-El for the inspiration (with the diagram). If i were to expand this to several plots though, I’d build it with 1 lava line - 3 gravel - 1 lava - 3 gravel (this way the pattern continues across several plots). Anyway, this is how a 2-layer 1-plot farm would look like with some lava guards (refined gold). Some gravel blocks on the periphery had lower percentages so i placed some individual bitumens to increase their percentages (as can be seen in the pics). Some STILL retained a slightly lower percentage than the rest while others got full percentages. I still yet have to find why.

Highest percentages: Seed and yield 0.510 and 1.600, respectively. Lowest percentages: 0.500 and 1.575 respectively (3 blocks only had these percentages).

Yes, those are old values before update when those plants didn’t like rock 3 block diameter. James did tell that some seed gain values are broken after that update.

I did not test after the update, but before, you needed to have the complete line full of lava/corruption, to get bonus for the seeds furthest from it.

I think this didn’t change.

Its a complete line. Lava flow isn’t showing in the pic.

Highest seed-chance I’m getting after update and just made the farm is 0.510 that’s with corruption chiseled and lava on top and 4 rows of gravel and another row of corruption with lava on top

1 Like

Bear in mind combustion plant has a base seed chance of 24%, that’s probably not displayed in the debug info?

I just added gleam light. Since it states that combustion fraction kernal likes gleam light and the stats didn’t change still showing.

Growth scale: 100%
Seed scale: 0.510
Yield chance: 1.600

Shouldn’t the stats have increased with the added gleam light?

So the screeny I posted above, 4 days ago, none of those plants have grown at all.
They’re sitting at 0.510 and 1.6, seed and yield respectively, and 100% growth rate.

However in another little test area, there’s some fraction plants that have fully grown with barely any yields at all. Just 0.01 and 0.025.

What on earth is going on :stuck_out_tongue:

Realised I have a gleam lantern above the screenshot layout…is that it?!

Most likely, yes - If you replace it with normal Gleam (or refined) it should grow fine.

1 Like

So are gleam lanterns of no use for farming?

Edit:
lucadeltodecso
Wonderstruck

10d

gleam/gleam-lanterns/refined-gleam

This seems to suggest “gleam-lanterns” are ok for farming … could a Dev please confirm one way or the other?

1 Like

new block-lighting tests (intensity values, and scaling between black/white ends up to balance still)

gleam lanterns, refined gleam, gleam, gleam poles.
color index 1 to 255 across
bottom half of each is the “gleamlight” they provide for crops (roughly equal to the luminance of the rgb blocklighting so white gleam is better for farming than black gleam of course)

6 Likes

Ooo so gleam poles can be used for crop growth as well. Nice. Might make for some interesting builds by those creative people.

Does a brighter light make them grow faster, or just the distance it projects that light to so you need more frequent dim lights?

1 Like

the crop growth has thresholds for lighting, not enough = wont grow, more than a certain amount = normal growth, and inbetween the growth time scales.

for gleamlight, the values are set up currently so that about 3m away from a white gleam lantern you get full growth still, but the poles are so dark that even right next to the crop itd still have slow growth (but it “would” grow.)

the hud details on crops in next release will show eta on crop growth so can evaluate the lighting conditions being good or not.

3 Likes

Interesting :thinking: Trying not to be a party pooper but doesn’t that limit the creativity a bit, you have to use white light to be efficient.

On normal crops that can survive on sunlight, does artificial light still benefit them so they grow during the night too? Or is the surface considered to be always lit?

2 Likes

day/night cycle has no effect, and no, gleam has no effect if there is enough “sunlight” already, its only for indoor organic farming / inorganic farming.

4 Likes

its not “just” white; any “luminous”, "cold’’ or “crisp” color also has the same luminance as white, these are:

Luminous Violet
Cold Berry
Luminous Blue
Luminous Azure
Cold Slate
Luminous Slate
Crisp Yellow
Crisp Lime
Luminous Moss
Luminous Green
Crisp Green
Cold Lime
Cold Viridian
Cold Teal
Crisp Teal
Luminous Viridian
Luminous Turquoise
Luminous Tan
Crisp Tan
Cold Tan
Luminous Taupe
Luminous Red
White
Luminous Yellow

4 Likes

edit: This sounds ironic now that I read what @GreyArt247 did :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oops, it looks like I recently just wasted a whole load of glowing lamella making some bright blue gleam lanterns in preparation for farming… that’ll teach me … I think I’d better just wait until the update is actually released and then add a bit more time on to gather all the facts before I waste any more time and resources :neutral_face:

4 Likes