What turns you off playing Boundless?

For me I find farming good, but annoying - why?..

Primarily because you made it a fundamental part of the game giving us the ability to respray blocks in a colour we want. To do this however we need to farm goo, to get seeds and try and mutate towards a colour we want. When we have this colour and the seeds to produce it we cannot replicate the colour as the maximum seed farming rate is 95%. For example just say I managed to get Red Goo seeds and I have 20 of them, I have a choice. I can either try and plant the crop giving me a return of 80% max in seeds back or I can plant the seeds - which is TOTALLY pointless as I’m going to lose 1 out of 20 seeds I plant - There is no return in going for seeds so I cannot replicate the colour I want.

Seed farming for Goo should be over 100% so we get a return for the investment and are able to reproduce a colour. The fact we cannot seems to largely put a downer on the whole colour tint update.

4 Likes

I agree. Juicy starberries are similar. They take up a lot of space as they need air and a lot of thorns around them to get a decent seed yield, but with a 104% seed yield, (and that’s at a max as the mechanic for jsb is janky) you get 10% chance of fruit. So the amount of plants and space needed to set up for crop yield and seed is just not worth it, when very few recipes use jsb.

1 Like

I haven’t been playing Boundless very much, mostly for personal reasons unrelated to the gameplay.

That said, I have recently been wanting to start over and for some time I had been thinking of moving/removing my old base. So I put all my old inventory away and started a new place on a lower tier planet. As I kept going, I was getting bothered by the fact that I have several thousand plots at my old base.

Ok, not a problem, I’ll remove some plots and their blocks, I thought… But then I was quickly reminded by the game that removing each plot and its blocks takes quite some time, so I quickly gave up on this. I thought I could just delete all my plots… That would actually make everything quite quick and done with. But no, I don’t want to do that this time, because unlike the last times, I have actually decided to keep all the stuff from the old place…

For once I don’t want to completely throw away the hundreds of hours I did invest in building the old place and its blocks and would like to actually keep them, even if they just stay in a storage at the new place.

But what massive turn-off from playing, all of this can be. Moving all the machines and valuables has taken me somewhere between 3 to 4 hours? I don’t even have that many machines.

I have been working on removing the blocks from my old build, but this too is taking an extreme length of time. I discovered that regular bombs return placed blocks, like refined rock and refined metal etc, but even this hasn’t been very helpful in the end, due to the shapes of my build, the fact that T6 blocks have a lot of hp anyway and also the bombs often bounce off instead of staying put where I need them.

I seriously wish “starting over” somewhere else didn’t feel like such a massive endeavour when you DO decide to keep your stuff. The only reason it might be bearable at all may be because of the home-warping exploit. If I had to run between my old T6 and my new T2 for every single run, I think I would have lost my mind and just deleted the beacon and quit the game instead, which is completely against what I want to do.

At the same time, I don’t understand why I have to feel like this is such a drain just because I want to keep my past efforts in a new storage somewhere that happens to be quite far; I know this has been the reality of moving bases with hundreds or thousands of plots for quite some time now, and deleting a whole beacon is helpful in terms of unplotting, but not if you want to actually keep the blocks anyway. :confused:

2 Likes

I went to the process myself…took me 2 weeks to break down and more everything in a temp storage.
I did ask James about this. Like delete your beacons and all your materials just get stored in a folder which you can open at your own disgrace whenever you have build a new place and enough storage units.

This has nothing to do with blueprints in my case but it would also be a nice addition…

Anyway goodluck! In the end you will be happy you have done it! I know I am

1 Like

Haven’t you considered creating a new character?
Unless I’m mistaken, you start over in terms of XP, inventory, tutorial, masks & body paints collections, friends, guilds, cubits, plots…
Sounds like it’s as close to starting over as you can, while keeping your old stuff separated. I think a new character only shares the Gleam Club effect, but that’s it.

3 Likes

What makes me stop playing anymore?

For example, a second update with massive prestige loss.

For example, that certain questions are deliberately ignored by you. It has been asked so often why you do not advertise to win new players. There is simply no answer. It is completely incomprehensible. Many want more players and, of course, you will make money. win win situation?

Due to the loss of prestige without compensation I will not spend more time here. I give up but rather play something else where my work is not devalued again and again

2 Likes

Just a guess:
Need new players for money, need money for advertising. Tough spot

So this is the #1 thing that makes me hate playing boundless, unless i have a aoe tool on hand, gathering resources after say level 10 or so is just boring.

AoE tools are a requirement, Coming from minecraft i have countless mods that have added a aoe tool in some form or another.

Literally everything thing else takes a back seat to how utterly boring gathering large amount of raw resources , like rock, dirt or gleam for example is just an activity in holding down my left mouse button and staring at the screen trying to tell myself this is going to be fun when im done and over with what im doing.

I have hated it so much i went ahead and created the additional alts to harvest specific resources as efficiently as possible.

But at the end of the day i utterly despise having to harvest resources by hand one by one. I literally have not farmed because i need to find a aoe axe to harvest because there isnt a aoe tiller…

4 Likes

Fair point, yes – I did consider this and did try just playing a new character a while back, in fact because I wanted to remember a fresh new-player experience but with my more veteran knowledge.

In the end I hated the fact that the plot count was separate and found myself not wanting a complete break from the state I was at; if I ever wanted those plots on my main character, I wouldn’t simply “just have them” on a whim, and the last thing I’d ever want to do is manage many plots between multiple characters.

And although I have other characters, I rarely ever use them. I just don’t like alt-hopping on Boundless very much at all, to be honest.

I also liked the idea of just keeping my levels anyway, so keeping XP or not keeping it wasn’t really too much of an issue either way; it has mostly been about the plots and keeping all the valuables I’ve accrued over the thousand hours of play time.

Over the last few days, I’ve spent what little time I’ve had where I can think a bit more clearly to try and dismantle my old base, bit by bit. I have removed a fair bit of things, moved them into a local storage on a separate beacon, as suggested by a friend and that has helped quite a lot…

However, through those days, I’ve built nothing. And I find this really frustrating.

I haven’t been very well lately, and I wanted to be able to enjoy building something new in Boundless, but for that I really wanted some of the plots from that are being used up at my old base. Instead, I’m tied up in this nightmarish “demolition & removals co.” game that is moving a base with many thousands of plots, plots which I’d really like to just use in my new area, without abandoning all the blocks/items I’ve accrued at the old base!

Not-so-fun-fact: It would take just over 3 hours of non-stop mouse-button-holding to unclaim my base plot by plot, if the “delete beacon” option didn’t exist. Reclaiming all my blocks would still take the same amount of time, however.

In summary, I can’t actually delete my beacon until I’m done removing all the things of value from the plots and I’m feeling quite frustrated about it. :confused:

I wish there was an in-game mechanic to provide a way around such a frustrating situation, such as a moving box which doesn’t let you directly put items into it and only allows you take items out from a previously deleted beacon.

4 Likes

16 posts were split to a new topic: Blueprint System or Moving Box as they started a discussion around Moving Boxes and a Blueprint System.

@NerArth, I really enjoy visiting your desert preserve. I hope you’re planning to add onto it and that the base you are removing is somewhere else? Either way, it’d be willing to chop up a plot or 10 of your “old base” location whenever i get time and dunno what to do with myself, can discuss in a pm if you’re keen. (I’m not burdened with an active creative steak like many here).

As for the thread in general; what I dislike or find mind numbingly grindy in boundless is inevitably something that someone else somewhere just loves. I’m not always on the forum, but when someone i respect asks for something i could help with; i usually do.

I think that a bit of a contractual approach -some ■■■ for tat- can take care of many grindy bits in the game. Serenity from the original Ultima Finata, the Tosche miners’ group, DK’s swapmeet and a few of my long term customers all have deals where I do what I like for them, and they give me things I need but dont like getting… might be worth considering if bits of boundless get you down.

Edit- the censored bit rhymes with “chit for chat”, didn’t realise it would trigger the modbot untill it was too late lol

1 Like

I played this game pretty regularly for a while. I had a maxed centraforge, and enough coils on the other machines to craft everything else I needed plus a bunch of forged tools in storage. I got bored and I spent a month or so away from the game. All that stuff is now gone, there is a snowball’s chance in hell of my re doing that absurd grind. Never touching this game again.

1 Like

The grind for coils is no longer that bad with the introduction of the minter and the really low prices on coils now. But nevertheless I completely get where you’re coming from. Only starting back up with what you have in your inventory kinda sucks.

This is why I strongly think we need some kind of a system that stores at least some of your stuff when a beacon goes wild, the “I like finding abandoned places and looting them” isn’t so important to the health of the game as players not coming back. It’s easy to forget refueling once and it’s all gone. A “pay in advance if you want to return” solution isn’t ideal. I’d still pay for gc just to keep my builds in the world.

Purchase of the base game should be enough to grant you the ability to keep at least your storage contents and machines/coils. Losing your builds is punishment enough.

Store the item ids and counts, make a corridor in the sanctum that acts as a UI to retrieve stuff from there. Only retrieve. I don’t think the abuse potential is there, it’d be hella ineffective to move your stuff with this if you had to plan a month ahead, I know I wouldn’t. And even if somebody would, what’s does it matter, they saved maybe a day worth of oort that it would’ve taken them to move the stuff with a portal?

Can the game afford bleeding players for this mechanic? I wonder what the metrics say, how many players, who have invested time in-game and their beacons expire, actually return?

13 Likes

Forge rng.

5 Likes

I would be for builds deteriorating but the items returning to some sort of storage. You would have to rebuild your base, but at least the penalty wouldn’t be so extreme.

Even then, there would be things that need to be worked out…For example, what happens if someone happens upon the base and takes the items? Is it gone from your storage? Or would you both own the item?

Also, the developers want to make money, and rightfully so. How would the changes effect Gleam Club membership sales?

1 Like

If you had a system like that in place, the items would transfer the instance the beacon turns to time 0. Meaning no one could access them.

2 Likes

I’d be ok if all the items, machines, coils and other valuables (exact definition tbd :smiley: ) were stored safely and disappear from the world the moment a beacon goes wild :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

This would be a bad idea because it would no longer allow you to transfer a build to someone else or an alt. And even a small unplotting error (happens a lot to me as 3D space isn’t my strength…) would just instantly destroy your build.