What would be a better rarity system? Discuss

I’ve seen lots of good ideas and wanted to collect them in one place. These are my best ideas so far:

GTA style tracking of everything you do - distance traveled, portals fueled, items sold, blocks broken etc. Placeable trophies earned for various Lifetime achievements. Adding this system could also pave the way for “progress style” leveling like in GTA for post-level50 boosts (in gta if you run a lot you get faster etc)

Monthly leaderboards for the same stats but on a monthly basis not lifetime. Placeable trophies. I’d definitely be interested to see these leaderboards. Who made the most coin from shop sales last month? Who’s in the lead this month?

Unique hunt trophies as RNG drops that can be placed on walls (gold silver bronze cuttletrunk tentacles, or stuffed heads, for example). Could also be furniture (hopper ottoman, roadrunner end table lamp, wildstock chair, cuttletrunk ceiling lamps) though I’d probably prefer those were craftable since we need furniture sooooooo bad. Long time hunters would have tons of these. But new people could get them as RNG too. I also like the idea of having some super large, high HP versions of existing monsters have a chance to appear at your meteors; these could drop the fancier items and wouldn’t require much more than resized/scaled enemy models.

Unique exo trophies - hide a few hundred around the planet at different altitudes. Maybe it could be globes of the exo on gold/silver/bronze pedestals with name and date. People could collect these hardcore

Add some exo exclusive landscape blocks. Maybe a new type of flower (or a few types) only found on exos. Weathered rock and weathered concrete could be found naturally on exos too (but also be craftable)

Art by @majorvex

10 Likes

I love all of these idea

1 Like

I’ll repeat myself some, since this is an idea collection thread…

I always prefer consistent small rewards over huge rng rewards for most things. For example, rather than giving 1 huge reward at a 1 in 1,000,000 chance, give out 1/10, 000 of the reward at a 1/100 drop chance. This way, there aren’t statistical outliers, since it’s rolling many times over the same time period.
This also lets you more easily increment rewards so you don’t have to wait for 1.5 million kills to get your trophy; you get a small one at 1k, medium at 100k, and large at 1mil.

I think that it’s important to consider both character-bound achievement based rewards (you can only use this trophy block if you earned it) and also tradeable rare rewards that are more about a theme than a trophy.

Example: at 1,000,000 cuttletrunk kills, you get a coffer with a character bound trophy. Using the token system I described above, around 1,000,000 cuttletrunk kills, you should have access to 1 block of uber tentacles, or 1,000 blocks of mega tentacles, or 1,000,000 blocks of minor tentacles, all of which are tradeable.

2 Likes

Good points here. I’d ultimately love to see both drop systems in the game. Ones that are highly volatile with a straight up .01% drop rate and ones that are incremental like what you are looking at above. I would liken these to the card system in PoE. Sometimes you get really lucky and get an item flat out, or you can build it up over time providing something to be part of the economy.

2 Likes

I haven’t played PoE in 5 years but I support any ideas from it. Amazing game.

Now @james has to add ultra black colored gleam to the game that makes even clearer glass

2 Likes

Ye i Love habbo hotel

A 1 in 10,000 chance for lucent ores to drop 1 clear plain glass or clear plain glass pane.

I think rarity should be on two fronts. And I think this would make the game very cool and interesting.

1. Player made rarity
    A. Fully customizable furniture on micro block level (and if devs can figure out how to make it interactable so people can make armor and weapon stands to put stuff on).
    B. Fully customizable dungeons on soverigens. But in order to do this we need creature spawners, rare loot to put in goal chests, and traps like arrow launchers, pit falls, flamethrowers etc.

2. Dev created rarity
    A. Intractable furniture - this is so interiors dont feel dead and like museums. Intractable chairs, tables, beds, lights/light switches, kegs, etc.
    B. Dev created dungeons - these can be on exo planets to give exoplanets another purpose now that color is no longer on the table for rarity. Dungeons that are prefab/segmentable for devs to hide loot and much harder boss monsters in. Rare loot can be found in chests, for example bows and grapples that are both made of sapphire and gold(high crit with elemental dmg), emerald with a roadrunner adrenal sac embedded(fast firing with elemental dmg), or umbris with a cuttletrunk eye at the front(shoots laser beams with umbris element). Or an even more rare item like trophies, oorty dolls, armor, new uncraftable weapons, furniture, oort, etc.

This will give both player made rarity that is not based on color.

And a dev made rarity with some real purpose, not based on color.

2 Likes

AGREEE! Not a fan myself of the monthly ones because it might keep some people forced to play to get this or that monthly rank but I dont mind it either. I am a TOTAL fan of having trophies for achievements. For example I am a trader and I would absolutely love a trophy that shows that i exceeded X amount of sales (milestones). Also rare loot that encourages discovery is sweet. Ill get inspiration from Conan again: different variants of a weapon with special buffs can be collectibles to display too. Ideas are endless and I just love any thing collectible.

Even a taxidermy skill is nice where you can taxidermy a beautiful, colored cuttle from an exo and display it for example.

3 Likes