This update is accessible via the "Live" release of Boundless on Steam.
Please report all issues discovered with the update to this support thread.
Please restart Steam to make sure you get the latest version of Boundless. If the update happens whilst Steam is open it's unlikely you'll get the latest version.
In addition to the features listed below, this update has changed a significant number of systems in the client and server of Boundless. This includes:
The resource distribution technology has been updated and the configuration has been tweaked. As part of this all the worlds have had their chunks regenerated and resources fully redistributed. Any areas outside of a beacon will have been regenerated to their original state. This will have resulted in unbeaconed areas of your builds or cities being removed.
The server storage of entities and chunks has been refactored into local database per world. This means that worlds generated by the World Builder are easier to distribute and the servers will be easier to manage across all platforms and filesystems.
The client now caches the most recent chunks downloaded locally. This should reduce the bandwidth required to restart the game and reenter recently visited portals. This will hopefully make the game more stable for players with slower connections. We have more networking improvements coming in the next few releases.
- Art + Animation + Assets:
- Added pipes and flowers LOD.
- Crafting + Resources + Equipment:
- Dynamic attribute system.
- This is mostly hidden to end users but will allow modification of player, creature, item, and block attributes in game.
- Which means we can now start working on player skill trees and the item forge!
- Health and damage have been scaled down by a factor of 10 as part of this work, to allow more room for player growth.
- Fixed an issue where items seem to disappear when put up for trading without the actual trading taking place.
- Planets now have an elemental type, with the ring worlds being allocated one. The elements match up with the gem types of the planets. Some of the creatures on elemental planets use elemental attacks.
- Rebalanced brick and glass recipes to need less inputs and give more outputs.
- Creatures + Combat:
- Creature bodies now disappear when they are looted.
- Creatures now persist when a player dies. Remember you can still bump the sanctum warp to a safe location to get away.
- Creatures will now not respawn for a while when killed. This should make hard worlds easier to live on. To find more creatures players must now go exploring.
- Fixed creatures melee/shoot at the player when they cannot see them.
- Fixed creature despawning on the other side of a portal.
- Fix for per player item drops not showing after respawning.
- Predetermined creature variants exist per world. Two variations of each creature race are generated per world, which means that two tier 4 Cuttletrunks may have different health, damage, speed, elemental or other special abilities from each other whether they live on the same or different worlds.
- New Cuttletrunk drag attack has been added for higher power worlds. During the drag attack:
- The Cuttletrunk will pick an area to attack.
- If the player is caught inside this area after one second the Cuttletrunk will pick the player up and throw them up in the air.
- GUI + HUD:
- Initial work on new GUI look, backpack tab updated.
- Hand crafting recipes GUI tab updated
- SFX + Music:
- New gem torch sfx.
- Fix occasional loud static noise.
- Client now caches data about the world in order to improve load times in some cases.
- Fix drop shadows not fading out correctly.
The following items are known issues in this release.
- Assigning both mouse buttons to 'Use Left Hand Option' will disable the left mouse button. To fix delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\boundless\user_settings\yourname\controls.json.
- Buying plinths that had wanted items set before v151 have unset them. Sorry. Going forward they will be fine.
- Cannot close Inventory when Chat is used.
- Cannot sell some items even if the tint matches on a Buying Plinth.
[new] Cannot switch tabs on Inventory menu using shoulder buttons on a controller.
- Chat text overlaps with HUD Text in the centre of the screen.
- Entity rendering will not always work correctly when there are multiple warps very close together, or where a warp opens up to a location very near where the entrance is.
- Game displays welcome message for a world through a portal without going through it.
[new] Game does not display a message when the maximum number of planet markers has been reached.
- Gem grappling hooks retract automatically when hanging.
- GUI rendered incorrectly on Intel HD graphics on Windows.
- If the game (loader) fails to start on Windows 7 and 8 you may need to install https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows
- Item placed into buying plinth will disappear when placing the same item into storage.
- Item wanted is completely different to what was placed there before on the buying plinth.
[new] Items will occasionally be unable to smart stack with other items that belong in the same smart stack category.
- Menus may constantly reappear on screen after closing them.
- Opening or closing doors and trapdoors when standing too close to them will restrict player movement. To get out of the situation, interact with the door or trapdoor again.
- Portal Configuration menu does not show correct planet name when using the appropriate portal token.
- Portal UI text overflows when the portal token name is very long.
- Shift-clicking an item from the selling plinth will show odd numbers and will not always go in the shopping basket.
- Shift-clicking and dragging on the coin icons from within the trading menus may cause a crash.
- Smart stack icon does not have the same tint as the items within the smart stack itself.
- Some Extractor machines lack animation.
- Some interactive blocks (crafting table, machine, beacon control) have become corrupted during the migration. This will result in at best those blocks not being able to be interacted with, at worst the game crashing when interacting with those blocks. To fix the issue the block(s) in question need to be re-placed. In the case of anything other than a beacon control the block can simply be broken, picked up, and then re-placed. In the case of a beacon control this will work, although it would result in all the plots having to be re-placed one at a time and during that process the contents being unprotected. A better workaround for a beacon control is to craft a new beacon control, place that, and then break the old one, which will keep the beacon's plots placed throughout the process.
- Some menu options are cut off at the top and bottom.
- Speech bubbles may still be displayed above players after going through portals.
- The recipes are not final.
- Z-fighting with some items (workbench and other machines) when placed underwater.
- Fix camera FOV not changing when leaving the GUI.
- Fix crash when crafting beacon plotters.
- Fix occasional stuttering when downloading lots of chunks, e.g around portals.
- Fix smart stack items not gaining wear on death.
- Fix stone sling bow ammo looking like a stone sling bow.
- Increased XP for mining and attacking.
- Quieter gem torch SFX.