Roadmap: Guilds, Hunter, New Blocks and more!

Boundless Roadmap:

Here is an update to our active development roadmap.

Boundless updates:

We’re following a development process where we alternate between updating Testing and Live every other week. Then Tick-Tock between minor and major feature updates to Live. The aim is to deliver a constant stream of quality, optimisations and features. Every week there should be something new to explore on Testing or play with on Live.

We often have many different sized features progressing in parallel. In these roadmap updates we want to make sure you’re aware of the most significant features. So we’re planning to keep it updated as items are released. We recently launched the new Body Paints in Release 207 and LED blocks in Release 209 so it’s time to refresh the coming items on the roadmap.

What’s in development?

Feature development can often take more time that you might expect so we have a few things going on in parallel. These items are in development NOW, so you should expect them to appear in the coming updates.

• Guilds: The biggest feature currently in development is a new Guild system. The aim is to create a system for everyone and not just hardcore players. This includes a new set of controls for managing the guild’s privileges and factions. You’ll be able to align or control beacons directly from your guild. This will allow players to group together to form a guild and align it with their settlement. As the settlements change your settlement and guild with continue to maintain its identity. The collective endeavour of your guild is rewarded with a new set of buffs affecting everyone. Expect more guild details in the future once it takes more shape.

Checkout the concept art for the Guild Buff Machines:

• Winter Event: We have a Winter Event coming that will run for a couple of weeks up to New Year. The Halloween event was based on gathering and this event will be focused on fun combat. An event announcement will be live shortly so that everyone can count down the time to launch. The whole world will look a little different as the chilly weather rolls across the landscape. Brrr :snowman_with_snow:

• Hunter: She’s coming. Prowling up on you. The Hunter’s AI is in development and she’ll be unlike any of the other creatures already in the game. Tap-tap-tap. Tap-tap-tap. Did I just hear a warp open?

• Messaging: To support the guilds we’re also working on a significant messaging expansion. Players in a guild need a channel to communicate when they’re scattered across the known universe. You’ll also be able to maintain channels with individuals between worlds. The system will also support (if configured) messages reaching out of the game so that you can respond to messages when you’re outside of the game, desperate to get back in again.

• New Blocks: A new set of craftable blocks - fully tintable and chiselable.

When?

Keep an eye out for announcement posts of features going to Testing. These features are already in development and coming soon.

What’s coming next?

There is a long list of features that are all jostling for attention. After the Guilds our next major feature will be a Boundless version of Farming. Don’t expect carrots and cabbages. We’re exploring ideas that bend farming into something that complements the Boundless universe and unlocks new sandbox options.

Our aim is to expand Boundless with new content and new systems for the full spectrum of Boundless players. We’re just as desperate as everyone else in the community to make progress with adventurous and experimental universal persistent sandbox features.

Of course, this is very much another step of our plans for Boundless. We’ve got plenty of features planned for the future, and your feedback will be invaluable as we continue active development of the game. We love talking with our players on the forums and social channels, so don’t be shy about championing the features you want to see in the future of Boundless.

Thanks!!

30 Likes

I can’t wait for farming!!! :+1::+1::+1::+1::grinning:

14 Likes

Amazing. I can’t wait to see the new blocks and have the guilds in place. Farming is also eagerly awaited but seems like it might still be a little ways away still

2 Likes

Farming and guilds will both be good community upgrades here, looking forward to them for sure!

2 Likes

I LOVE the game ! Very excited for all the updates that everyone is working hard on !:grin:

1 Like

… you’re looking at them.

7 Likes

yes farming!! I better save some acres and bring out the old rocking chair :smile:.

and is that some kind of marble I see on the left? Or another variation to crafting sedimentary rocks?

5 Likes

Hey look it’s white refined coal! ; P

those blocks look like they are seamlessly tileable!!
I really hope they are seamless :smiley:

2 Likes

These updates are going to be awesome!

tenor

7 Likes

ohh farming

7 Likes

I’m so looking forward to the guilds update! Alright, alright… I’m so looking forward to everything!! :smiley:

10 Likes

Yes however I meant in game.
A picture is good but a “physical” copy is better

Just don’t make the Wildstock Eyes Plant look too weird! =P

2 Likes

They look lovely! Especially the wavy tiled one.

Been plotting “acres” in anticipation of farms. :grin: Practically buzzing in excitement!

Would you be able to disclose if we can join multiple guilds, or just one?

I’d love to join a large guild, but I know a few people who want a small personal guild and I feel torn.

1 Like

Yes, you can! James addressed this in a previous roadmap update:

2 Likes

Yaaaay! Now I can continue life guilt free! =D

Wooooo new blocks!!! Thanks @james !! Exactly what we were wishing for in Little Japan

4 Likes

Yes! Out of all of those, I’m looking forward to these the most! Marble, Asphalt, Mosaic Tiles and… Chips?

10 Likes